PICASSO, Pablo (Málaga, 1881 – Mougins, Francia, 1973).
Picasso and Braque were the creators of cubism, and marked a turning point in the history of art.
Picasso began his studies in 1895 in the Catalan School of Fine Arts, Barcelona, and only two years later made his first individual exhibition at Els Quatre Gats café in Barcelona.
After several short stays in Paris, Picasso finally settled in Paris in 1904. After his blue and pink periods – developed in the early years of the century – he would begin his geometrical compositions during a stay in Lleida in 1906.
A year later he began painting ‘Ladies of Rue d’Avignon’ and would meet Braque in 1909, which marked the start of the cubist period. During the second decade he would develop his classical stage and produce the famous sets for the ‘Ballert Russes” of Diaghilev.
In 1936, the Government of the Spanish Republic appointed him Director of the Prado Museum and a year later he would paint ‘Guernica’.
In 1939 a retrospective dedicated to the MOMA in New York would lead to his definitive international recognition. During the following decades he would dedicate retrospectives worldwide including Rome, Milan, Paris, Cologne and New York among other cities.
Picasso is represented in world-class museums such as the Metropolitan, MOMA, Guggenheim in New York, Hermitage in St. Petersburg, National Gallery (London) and National Museum of Queen Sofía (Madrid).